“We envision a joyful, environmentally responsible, healthy, multigenerational cohousing community.”
Bridgewater Cohousing is an initiative aimed to build a cohousing development in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, the first of its kind in Atlantic Canada.
We are learning from successful examples of cohousing elsewhere in Canada and around the world.
- Our planet: living lightly on the earth
- Our neighbours: sharing resources and joy, and welcoming all ages
- Ourselves: living in a comfortable and healthy home
- 20-25 units, medium density form (perhaps row houses, duplexes/triplexes/quadplexes) and a variety of unit sizes (1, 2, 3+ bedrooms)
- modestly-sized private units and a well-equipped common house, arranged in a community-oriented design, and built using universal design principles
- located within the boundaries of the Town of Bridgewater, connected to town services, within walking distance of important amenities and public transit
- on a site (min. 2-3 acres) that has ample space for outdoor play and gardening
- multigenerational, welcoming of all family types and ages
- quality, durable, no-frill construction
- very high degree of energy efficiency (net zero or passivehaus standard)
- incorporated as a condominium under the NS Condominium Act